Try our CRS Calculator
Federal Skilled Worker
The ‘Federal Skilled Worker’ is among the three programs under the Express Entry system of Canadian Immigration. It is specifically aimed at foreign workers with skilled work experience looking to immigrate to Canada permanently. Since its introduction, FSW has been contributing the most number of applicants to the Express Entry Pool. In 2019, Express Entry Canada issued more than 30,000 invitations through this stream (Express Entry Year Report – 2019).
The “Federal Skilled Worker Program” uses a 100-point grid to evaluate its applicants’ eligibility, out of which the current pass mark is 67 points. If you clear this grid, you enter the Express Entry pool. The CIC CRS calculator/tool helps you calculate a score to determine your Express Entry eligibility (CRS Tool). If your score matches/surpasses the current draws, Express Entry invites you to apply for this program to become a Permanent Resident of Canada.
Minimum requirements for this program:
|Skilled Work Experience
|You must have at least one year of ongoing Work Experience in a skilled job and should be:
• in NOC level O, A or B as defined by Canadian National Occupational Classification.
• For a full-time position; or equivalent time in a part-time position;
• Within the last ten years
|There is no minimum education requirement for this program, but you can escalate your CRS points by:
• Obtaining a Degree, Diploma or Certificate from a secondary or post-secondary institution in Canada.
• Getting an Education Credential Assessment report for your foreign education through a designated organization.
|You must take one of the approved language tests, i.e. IELTS, CELPIP-G, TEF Canada or TCF Canada and meet the minimum requirements as per your job skill level.
|Proof of Funds
|You should show that you have sufficient funds for yourself and your family to be able to settle in Canada, except if:
• You are presently able to work in Canada, or;
• Have a valid job offer in Canada
|Other determining factors
|Admissibility; Age; Marital Status; Close Relatives in Canada etc.
Advantages of this program:
- Fully electronic application system
- Faster processing times than Provincial Nomination Programs
- No limit to the number of applicants who can apply to the Express Entry Pool via the Federal Skilled Worker Program.